Contact Name: A Laher
Mr A Laher
Head of Department
Mr A Ewing
Mr P Owens
Miss H Jennings
Mr J Yaull
Mrs V Gibbons
Students commence KS4 options in Year 9 i.e. students opting for BTEC have 4 hours per week, students opting for GCSE have 2 hours per week. See KS4 for details of course.
Details of KS4:
GCSE Business Studies (AQA) - 2 hours per week
The course offers a broad introduction to the functions of business and it continues to be an excellent complement to all other GCSE subjects. Business Studies caters for the entire ability range and knowledge gained whilst following this subject is valuable for life. The department aims to bring out the best in all students.
Year 9 content:
- Types of Business Ownership
- Production & Efficiency
- Business Plan (Includes Objectives, Cash-flow forecast...)
Year 10 content:
- Human Resource Management
- Motivation theory & practice
- Organizational Structures
- "Setting up your own business on Main Street" coursework takes place in Year 10
Year 11 content:
- Finance (Includes profitability & Liquidity ratios)
- Business Law
- Macro/Micro Economics
All GCSE groups are taught in mixed ability.
BTEC Business (Edexcel) - 4 hours per week
The course consists of four compulsory core units plus other optional units in completing 240 Guided Learning hours (GLH).
The Certificate course is the equivalent to two GCSE passes at C grade or above.
BTEC First Structure
- Enterprise in the Business World 30 GLH
- Finance for Business 30 GLH (External)
Within each unit of study students will be expected to demonstrate and apply knowledge to specified subject content, plan and carry out investigations based on practical real world situations and evaluate project work based on reasoned judgment.
All the internal units involve students collecting information and presenting it as a portfolio of evidence.
This course provides opportunities for all students, regardless of ability, to opt for a subject that is valuable for life. It provides practical experience that will provide a relevant qualification for employment, continued education or training.
Details of KS5:
AS and A2 GCE Business Studies - AS 5 hours per week/ A2 - 4 hours per week
The course provides a smooth transition from GCSE Business Studies, although this is not a pre-requisite for studying AS/A Level Business Studies. However, students will be expected to have at least five GCSEs at Grade C or above, including English and Maths.
The department follows the AQA Business Studies Syllabus.
Students will study topics such as:
- Accounting and Finance
- People and Operational management
- External influences
- Business Objectives and Strategy
1hr 15 mins
1hr 30 mins
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Double Award in GCE Applied Business - 10 hours per week Year 12/ 8 hours per week Year 13 (UK Career Academy)
The vocational focus of this qualification encourages students to develop an understanding of how business work in the real world. The course offered over two years is equivalent to two A2s. The one-year course is equivalent to two AS grades.
The two-year course consists of twelve units in total:
Investigating people at work (e)
Business development (e)
Investigating business (i)
Managing & developing people (i)
Investigating marketing (i)
Marketing decisions (e)
Investigating customer service (i)
International dimensions of business (i)
Investigating promotion (e)
Organising an event (i)
Investigating enterprise (i)
External influences on business (i)
(e) externally assessed - exam
(i) internally assessed - coursework
The course is internally assessed (67%) via a completed portfolio of evidence, consisting of assignments that are based on real business situations. The remaining (33%) of the course is externally assessed, where students will sit exams.
The GCE in Applied Business qualifies for UCAS points. It gives students a wide choice of progression options into further study, training or relevant employment in the business sector. Students who successfully complete the qualification will be well equipped to move onto degrees, BTEC Higher National Diplomas or Modern Apprenticeships in related subjects.
UK Career Academy Foundation (UKCAF)
Double Award in GCE Applied Business - 8 hours per week
Students selected on the course will study for 2 A levels in Business and other A level. Students will also be expected to participate in the "paid internship" and "partnership" programmes.
Taster Day for Year 11 students
Visit to the Great Yorkshire Show - KS4 students
Enterprise Day for Year 10 students
"Dragon's Den" Risk It Challenge - 6th Form students