Academy Advisory Body
Welcome from the Chair of the Education Advisory Body
Choosing the right secondary school or sixth form for your child is one of the biggest decisions that many parents and carers face and I hope that this website provides you with useful information with which to start this decision making process.
Our Academy lies at the heart of the Garforth community and also draws students from a wide area of East Leeds and North Yorkshire. Our aim is to provide our young people with the best possible education that prepares them effectively for either higher education, further training or employment.
The Academy approach is based on five key principles:
- We look to build strong relationships with parents and carers so that we set and reach consistently high expectations and aspirations for every one of our students
- We treat all of our students as individuals; looking to understand their abilities and needs and providing them with consistent and positive support, guidance and opportunities.
- We set the highest achievable educational standards for each student; helping our young people to aim high and to achieve their best
- We provide the best possible learning opportunities; offering a broad, well balanced mix of traditional and vocational courses that mean that students can personalise their own learning and opt for courses that best meet their interests, abilities and aspirations
- We believe strongly in providing a safe and secure environment within which young people can flourish and enjoy learning. A key element in this is our focus and expectations around positive and effective discipline and behaviour.
In November 2011, Garforth was one of the first “outstanding” schools to convert to Academy status. As an Academy working within the Delta Academies Trust we now have access to additional resources and expertise that will enable us to go from strength to strength. We continue to forge strong relationships with our local primary schools, to call on expertise from our other partners and to do everything that we can to assure the best possible education and school experience for our students. These young people though are our best ambassadors; displaying their enthusiasm for learning, their confidence in their own abilities and their care for each other.
A website can only tell you so much, so I hope you will take the opportunity to visit the Academy to help to decide whether this is the best school for your young person. We look forward to welcoming you and to showcasing what we at Garforth Academy are achieving and offering.
Steve Beer, Chair of the AAB
Documents relating to the AAB Attendance, Interests and Remit can be viewed on our Statutory Information page here.
Chair of the Education Advisory Body
c/o Garforth Academy
Leeds LS25 1LJ