Keep up to date with our careers events & information through our school Twittter page @GApost16.
We recently held employability sessions in the Lecture Theatre every Wednesday with special guest Susan Black from Michael Page Group. These sessions are to provide information on 'how to make yourself employable', discussing:
- Communication & people skills
- How to manage social media accounts
- CV tips
- Mock interview practice
- What diffferent employers look for
Work Experience - Year 12 Students
Work Experience Week will take place Monday 1st July - Friday 5th July 2019.
All year 12 students are expected to have found a suitable placement for work experience week.
What do I need to do?
- Find a suitable placement
- Take employer details to Mrs Thomson (Name of manager, phone number, email address & company address)
- Pass the employer our email address and ask them to send a copy of their liability insurance- email@example.com
- Take home a consent form and bring it back once completed
Mondays (Dates specified in events and via parent email) in the Lecture Theatre from 2:30pm-3:30pm we run a careers club.
We invite special guests in regularly to speak about the different job roles available, giving information on what skills/ qualities needed and how to apply.
So far we have had talks from:
- PC Clarkson- West Yorkshire Police/ The Explorers Programme
- Jenny Whitehead- Daniel Yorath House/ Occupational Therapy
- Rebecca Reid- Interserve/ Apprenticeships
- Newcastle University- Medical Sciences/ Dentistry
- Andrew Mitchell- Unilever/ Engineering/ Advanced and Higher Apprenticeships
- Allison Jones- British Gas
- Adam Bradshaw- British Army
- Alessandro Creazza- Hull University
- Simon Laughlin- Ginetta
- Elisha- Performing Arts
Our careers department contribute towards PSHCE from years 7-11 and sixth form.
We have invited in some inspirational speakers and organisations such as Jonathan Lancaster, Newcastle University & Leeds Apprenticeship Hub to help out throughout the year.
These provide interview tips, CV building sessions, application advice and much more!
Throughout the year our careers team organise different events inviting external organisations into the Academy, including:
- Local Businesses
- Apprenticeship Providers
These will be announced via our Twitter page and the Garforth Academy website.
We encourage our students to think about their goals and research the different sectors they are interested in. All students are welcome to come and speak to a member of the team for advice and guidence with careers.