Design and Technology

Head of Department: Mrs J. Williams / Mr. P. Sutcliffe

Qualification: GCSE Design & Technology: Textiles

Exam Board: AQA

Exam/NEA split: 50% written exam 50% NEA

Component 1: Written exam paper

Weighting: 50%

Duration: 2 hours

Assessment includes content from across the whole GCSE course. 20% is made up of multiple choice questions whilst the remaining 80% requires a more in-depth knowledge and ability to provide extended responses to a range of topics. Whilst students will be tested on the technical principles of a range of materials, the emphasis is on textiles or product design for the extended response questions, depending on which option the student has chosen.

Component 2: Non-Exam Assessment

Weighting: 50%

Students research a given theme, before proposing a range of feasible solutions. During the trialling of ideas stage, students put into practice their practical skills and confidence to explore, investigate and test a range of creative design possibilities. The final outcome is the practical realisation of the process, where students showcase their skills and techniques within an accurate and appropriate item or garment that meets the brief. 

Students also produce a portfolio which charts the journey from initial task to final solution. 

The flexibility of the D&T specification allows students to focus on their NEA from either a product design or textiles perspective, depending on the student’s preferences and/or skillset.

Course Summary:

GCSE Design and Technology will prepare students to participate confidently and successfully in an increasingly technological world. Students will gain awareness and learn from wider influences on Design and Technology including historical, social, cultural, environmental and economic factors. Students will get the opportunity to work creatively when designing and making and apply technical and practical expertise. Our GCSE allows students to study core technical and designing and making principles, including a broad range of design processes, materials techniques and equipment. They will also have the opportunity to study specialist technical principles in greater depth. Students can study Design & Technology with an emphasis on Textiles technology or Product Design. 

More details: AQA - Design & Technology