Hairdressing & Beauty Therapy
Qualifications achievable VTCT Level 2
GCSE equivalence 1 GCSE
Core or Option Option Subject
Head of Department Miss R Cockcroft
What will I study?
- You will gain two certificates or qualifications with this course.
- Level 2 Certificate in Hairdressing & Beauty Therapy. (VRQ)
- Level 1 Extended Award in Hair & Beauty Practical Skills.
- You will develop high quality Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy skills in order to complete your practical observation evidence, with the opportunity to study in The Training Rooms salon.
- With this practical qualification you will develop skills in nail art, temporary colour application and plaiting hair. In your final year you will create an image showcasing all your skills and improve your self-confidence.
- You will investigate different products and their ingredients (cosmetic science) and how they effect the hair, skin and nails. You will have the opportunity to make your own product.
- The qualification includes employablity skills ideal for apprenticeships, plus business and research knowledge to give you an understanding on the world of work.
- You will complete a portfolio displaying your knowledge and practical ability within Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy.
How is the course assessed?
You will be continually assessed throughout the course building a portfolio of evidence to gain a pass, merit or distinction grade in your practical qualification. The GCSE theory element of this qualification uses a grading model of Not Yet Achieved, Pass, Merit, Distinction, Distinction* (P/M/D/D*) The theory element is 75% coursework and 25% external written assessment.
Where might it lead?
Completing the VTCT Level 2 Certificate could lead to a full technical Diploma such as the Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy or Level 2 Diploma in Hairdressing.
Alternatively, you may wish to seek employment in the hairdressing or beauty therapy sector as an assistant or apprentice (junior hairdresser or beauty therapist) studying an apprenticeship programme.