The science curriculum for the students of Delta Academy has been designed to provide students with a deep understanding of the scientific knowledge and ideas that impact them as individuals within a local and globalised context. As they move through the curriculum, students will be increasingly made to develop their curiosity, provide insight into working scientifically and appreciate the value of science in their everyday lives. Our curriculum provides a platform for more advanced science based study, providing a gateway into a wide range of career opportunities. It also delivers a framework for understanding the natural world and supporting students to become scientifically literate participants in society.
The key principles used when designing the new curriculum were:
- To develop a knowledge rich curriculum, supported by high quality teacher instruction, collaborative learning and the opportunity for students to demonstrate understanding.
- Effective use of models to explain concepts and critical evaluation of these models.
- Development, understanding and use of scientific language and commonalities in language between other curriculum areas.
- The sequence of learning, including prior knowledge and next steps.
- Retrieval of information over time.
- Reduction of a topic/end of term test, more frequent ‘low stakes’ checkpoints that feedback in to classroom planning.
- Links to other subjects as well as local and social context.