Click here to view Careers News for events that have happened at Garforth Academy
The CEIAG – (Careers Education Information Advice Guidance) provision in a Delta Academy has been designed to positively support you to acquire the educational, social and employability skills necessary for lifelong success in a diverse and changing world of work. Our Careers Programme is personalised to the academy in conjunction with our partners at Progress Careers
Throughout their Garforth Academy journey we encourage our students to reflect on their skills, strengths, interests, and values and follow their curiosity through proactive research of job sectors. We facilitate and encourage students to undertake as many opportunities as possible to be inspired, gain insight, develop skills, and build their network.
Opportunities come in all shapes and sizes i.e. attending employer/education provider events at school, online industry insight events, attending open days and taster days at colleges and universities, external careers fairs, and undertaking work related learning and work experience.
Careers Education is provided though:
- Subject Lessons – Careers discussions and information within a subject specific focus to help you to explore a wide variety or careers and make decisions on your future options based on your interest in the subject and the transferable skills developed within the subject.
- Tutorials & Assemblies- Discussions and information delivered by the careers team and guests supporting you with your GCSE, Post 16 and Post 18 options.
- Life Lessons – Our careers department contribute to LIFE curriculum from years 7-11 and sixth form, each year group have a full half term of careers focused LIFE lessons. Content is appropriate to each year group and the options they have ahead of them, supporting career development and management skills such as: identifying and articulating their own skills and strengths, understanding the transferability of skills, researching opportunities, and application skills.
- Step Up Days – Events such as ‘Futures Day’
- All aspects of Careers Education provide labour market and growth sector information.
Information, Advice & Guidance is provided through:
- Qualified 1-2-1 Guidance – You also have access to Level 7 qualified careers advisors, who will provide confidential and impartial advice to students to support students to make fully informed decisions.
- Planning for the future – whether you have a clear career idea or not, our advisers can support you with your self-awareness, exploration and research so that you can make confident, informed decisions
- Careers Cafes & Careers Fairs – Employers, Colleges and Universities will visit the school on a regular basis to talk to you about their organisation and the opportunities they present, providing information on what’s involved in specific jobs within their sector, the skills and qualifications required and how to access these.
Careers Portal –Parents and Staff can access the Garforth Academy Careers Portal which provides:
- Advice and resources for students
- Advice and resources for parents and carers
- Information on pathways i.e Further Education, Higher Education and Apprenticeships
- Labour Market Information (via the Career Discovery Tool)
- Unifrog– All students have access to Unifrog, our online careers platform, which enables exploration of careers and supports students in identifying their skills, strengths and interests. The platform also enables access to live and pre-recorded webinars on a huge variety of topics. Students can use the platform to record their activities, building evidence of employability skills and create CVs and personal statements.
- Results Service – a team of advisers will be able to talk through your needs on results day to help you confirm your intended destination.
- GCSE & A Level Options – Choosing your options and what would best suit you.
- Apprenticeships – Finding work or an apprenticeship, including application and interview skills
All students are very welcome to speak to a member of the team for 1:1 impartial careers advice and guidance (Level 7 Qualified Careers Advisors)- ask your Learning Manager or Form Tutor to arrange a meeting, or come to the Careers office.
Provider Access Legislation
We will provide at least six encounters with approved providers of apprenticeships and technical education for all students:
- Two encounters for pupils during the ‘first key phase’ (year 8 or 9) that are mandatory for all pupils to attend
- Two encounters for pupils during the ‘second key phase’ (year 10 or 11) that are mandatory for all pupils to attend
To ensure all students have access and awareness of a wide variety of opportunities, we would welcome local providers and employers to come and speak to our students at the Academy. If you would like to get in touch to arrange a talk or discuss an opportunity, please contact Lauren Llewellyn (Careers Lead) firstname.lastname@example.org
Careers & Provider Access Policy & Destination Data
You will find this policy on the Statutory Information & Policies Page.
To see our CEIAG policy (including student, parent and provider entitlements), please see our Statutory Information & Policies Page.
Leader of Careers
Tel: 0113 2127 127
We are a member of the West Yorkshire Careers Hub