Our CEIAG & Provider Access Policy gives an overview of the programme for each year group. A more detailed programme can be found below.
Our planned programmes support students and ensure they receive the relevant careers education, information, advice and guidance that is suitable for their age and ability by implementation of the 8 Gatsby Career Benchmarks, written by Sir John Holman, a former Headteacher and founder of the National STEM Learning Centre.
Sir John wrote the Good Career Guidance Report after carrying out extensive research.
The fast-changing world of work puts an ever-greater demand on all of us to support students in making a successful transition from education to employment, helping them to identify and choose career opportunities that are right for them.
The government’s new careers strategy set out a plan for building a high-quality careers system that will help young people to achieve. The Gatsby Benchmarks are a key measure of the effectiveness of career guidance and provision – Delta Academies Trust is committed to achieving all eight benchmarks;
- A stable careers programme
- Learning from career and labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each pupil
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal guidance
For an overview of how we and our CEIAG partners embed the 8 benchmarks into our Careers Programme, please see the statutory documents page
Keep up to date with our careers events & information through our school Twittter page @GApost16.
We recently held employability sessions in the Lecture Theatre every Wednesday with special guest Susan Black from Michael Page Group. These sessions are to provide information on ‘how to make yourself employable’, discussing:
- Communication & people skills
- How to manage social media accounts
- CV tips
- Mock interview practice
- What diffferent employers look for
Work Experience – Year 12 Students
Work Experience Week will take place Monday 1st July – Friday 5th July 2019.
All year 12 students are expected to have found a suitable placement for work experience week.
What do I need to do?
- Find a suitable placement
- Take employer details to Mrs Thomson (Name of manager, phone number, email address & company address)
- Pass the employer our email address and ask them to send a copy of their liability insurance- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Take home a consent form and bring it back once completed
Mondays (Dates specified in events and via parent email) in the Lecture Theatre from 2:30pm-3:30pm we run a careers club.
We invite special guests in regularly to speak about the different job roles available, giving information on what skills/ qualities needed and how to apply.
So far we have had talks from:
- PC Clarkson- West Yorkshire Police/ The Explorers Programme
- Jenny Whitehead- Daniel Yorath House/ Occupational Therapy
- Rebecca Reid- Interserve/ Apprenticeships
- Newcastle University- Medical Sciences/ Dentistry
- Andrew Mitchell- Unilever/ Engineering/ Advanced and Higher Apprenticeships
- Allison Jones- British Gas
- Adam Bradshaw- British Army
- Alessandro Creazza- Hull University
- Simon Laughlin- Ginetta
- Elisha- Performing Arts
Our careers department contribute towards PSHCE from years 7-11 and sixth form.
We have invited in some inspirational speakers and organisations such as Jonathan Lancaster, Newcastle University & Leeds Apprenticeship Hub to help out throughout the year.
These provide interview tips, CV building sessions, application advice and much more!
Throughout the year our careers team organise different events inviting external organisations into the Academy, including:
- Local Businesses
- Apprenticeship Providers
These will be announced via our Twitter page and the Garforth Academy website.
We encourage our students to think about their goals and research the different sectors they are interested in. All students are welcome to come and speak to a member of the team for advice and guidence with careers.