Transferring to Secondary School can be an unsettling whilst exciting time for Year 6 students. This part of the website should help you by answering some of the questions you may have before starting at the Academy in September 2018.
Please use your time to go through the different sections and familiarise yourself with the Academy day, how to use your planner, uniform and much more.
In the meantime, if you have been offered a place in the Academy starting in September you will be invited to a “Liaison Day” on Thursday 12th July 2018 where you will meet your Pastoral Leader, members in your form, some teachers and the pastoral team who are there to support you. You will also be invited to an “Activity Day” on the Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday week commencing 16th July.
During June and July this year you will either receive a visit from your Pastoral Leader and two Year 7 students that used to come to your school, or be invited to the Academy for a tour. During this time you can ask any questions that are causing you concern.
In this website you will also see that the Holiday Programme is packed full of events for you to attend during the first week of the summer holidays. This programme is designed specifically for you and to help you with the transition to the Academy.
Useful contact numbers:
Year 7 Pastoral Leader – Amanda Wright
Garforth Academy Reception – 0113 2 127 127
We are really looking forward to you joining our Academy in September!
You will be given a planner on your first day at Garforth Academy. This planner will have to last you the whole year so you must look after it.
The Student planner is designed to help you to:
- Plan your work
- Manage your time
- Keep a record of your Achievements during the Academy year
To get the best from your planner remember:
- Record information which helps you remember and plan your time effectively.
- Record achievements both in and out of the Academy.
- Ask your tutor if you do not understand.
- Information in the planner is vital and used for completing your Annual review.
- Keep it up to date.
There are sections for you to Record:
- Your lesson and homework timetables
- Important dates in monthly calendars
- Homework, assignments and deadlines week by week
- Important information
- Make sure it is kept well organised and label all your lessons for the week ahead.
- If no home work is set that lesson – clearly mark – no homework set.
- Make sure there is no graffiti or decoration on your planner.
- Parents / carers must sign the planner at the end of each week and you must too.
- Ask if you are unsure
Year 6 Holiday Scheme
Here at Garforth Academy, we organise a variety of activities for you Year 6's to do in the summer holidays to help you get used to the Academy site, find your way around, make new friends and get to know some of the staff who will be working with you.It is really fun and worth while. It will build your confidence for when you start here in September as you won't need to worry about getting lost and you will have made some new friends so you can ask them where to go if you do!
Summer’s here at last and we have a fun packed programme for you, so there is no reason now to sit at home saying you are bored. This year we have a number of new activities for you including :-
- Doncaster Dome
- Day trip to Filey
- The Deep
- Family day out to Bridlington
Or come and join in some regular favourites like cooking, Go-Karting and Lazer Zone.
The Holiday Club booklet and booking form will be added to this page nearer the end of term - watch this space !
‘Good Comments’ are noted by staff in the Weekly Planner section. A Good Comment will be given in Years 7–11 if a student fulfils any of the following criteria:
- Effort - Outstanding effort in Class work/Homework
- Academic Achievement - Quality of Work
- Test Result
- Practical Skills
- Oral Response
- Improvement - Academically, Behaviour/Attitude, Effort
- Extra Curricular Activities
- Helping others/Citizenship
Awards are given at the discretion of the Year Group Pastoral Leader for the collection of good comments: For Year 7 these are set at :-
100 - Bronze certificate and letter from Form Tutor
150 - Silver certificate and letter from Pastoral Leader
200 - Gold certificate, letter from Principal and an enamel tie-pin
250 - Platinum certificate and letter from Principal
300 - Diamond certificate and letter from Principal
350 - Pearl Certificate and letter from Principal
Other Useful Pages to Read
Travelling to School
A downloadable map showing the various bus, cycle and walking routes has been produced by Sustrans and can be downloaded using the link at the bottom of this page.
You can also download a map of the school using the link at the bottom of this page.
Top Tips for Year 7
- Learn how to tie a tie before September
- Get organised
- Pack your bag the night before
- Double check you have everything you need that morning
- Do your homework on time and the night it is set.
- Put reminders in your planner for deadlines, so you are well prepared.
- Bring your planner everyday
- Bring a reading book everyday for form time
- Hang your uniform up when you get home
- Label all uniform with your name and form
- Join an after school club and homework club
- Ask for help if you get stuck
- Ask for directions if you get lost
- Set off early and get to school on time
- Don’t let a small problem become a big problem, seek help early.
- Help others